I’m torn on the issue of dog shows. Not that they’re really a hot-button controversy or anything. I doubt they’re in danger of disappearing any time soon. Maybe ‘tradition’ is a better word...In any case, I’m torn as to how I feel about them. I recently read a couple of articles from the New York Times about this year’s Westminster Dog Show. The Westminster has been putting on this puppy-dog pageant for 135 years now. This year’s winner of the coveted title “Best in Show” was a Scottish Deerhound named “GCH Foxcliffe Hickory Wind”(His friends just call him “Hickory”). An interesting breed, for sure. I can’t say I’ve crossed paths with too many of these towering hounds. But therein lies my point. I’m all for celebrating the history of and legacies behind the different breeds, but I have trouble getting past the sense of elitism that accompanies the ceremony.
The discerning judges presiding over the event, scoring for muscle tone, stature, shiny coats and whatever else, tend towards the more exotic breeds when it comes to filling the position in the winner’s circle. In a way, I suppose it’s not too surprising. They’re special. They’re rare. How often do you get to see a perfect specimen of a Deerhound anyway? It’s exciting. It’s a popularity contest…or is it? That, of course, would depend on your definition of popularity.
When you think back to the so-called, largely self-proclaimed “popular kids” in school, what comes to mind? They were special or something, right? They were the top of the social food chain. The beautiful people. The ‘A’ Group. The elite. You hated them, but you loved them, inexplicably. With that rationale in tow, it makes sense that the whole thing reeks of elitism and overpriced kibble. It only makes sense in this context that the most rare, most unique, primped, well-maintained, least-like-a-dog, dog consistently takes the cake (or the Alpo). By that logic, however, it would seem that we’re not so much celebrating the dogs as we are the human mastery of genetic engineering. It could almost be called a canine eugenics exhibition!
One of the articles I read chronicled the pre-show rituals and meticulous, lengthy grooming sessions as seen from the perspective of some of the lower-maintenance contestants. The whole of the backstage area is described as being rife with anticipation and abuzz with blow dryers—except for the Labrador corner, that is.
These contestants partake in very few, or none of these excessive rituals. Instead, they opt for a snooze and put their faith in the power of beauty sleep. This is likely time well spent, seeing as this breed has never won “Best in Show” and probably won’t any time soon. But why is that? If you subscribe to the more literal definition of popularity, these dogs are the clear winners. So why aren't they recognized?
Along with Golden Retrievers, Labs rank among the more popular dogs in the country, if not the most popular. Yet year after year, they’re passed up in Westminster’s sporting category. According to the article, this is likely because they’re too simple, too sturdy, too basic and altogether too common. But since when is that a bad thing? That’s what confuses me. They’re basically discounted as a result of their functionality and their status as 'user-friendly'.
In considering this, I’m reminded of a conversation I heard recently. It was in regards to our cultural fascination with fashion. In a way, dog shows are kind of reminiscent of fashion shows. They put rare, extravagant, impractical breeds on display, and critique them—if you’re not an official judge, you’re likely critiquing based on your favorites and the latest trends in popular pet ownership. In a way, it’s as if Afghan Hounds and the other crazy breeds you’d see on exhibit are the ‘haute couture’ of the dog world, while Labradors are more like the ‘ready to wear’ collection. Bearing this in mind, let’s consider something: a Deerhound might be cool to see, but would you really ever own one? Do you have time to exercise and brush an Afghan Hound everyday? They have longer hair than most women I know! Could you really picture one at the dog park playing fetch? Sure, they run like the wind, but could you picture one playing in the mud?
Like high fashion, I’m fascinated by these exotics, but I wouldn’t own one or know what to do with it. I’d be too afraid to get it dirty or something. It’s fun to see, but for the most part it’s just not my style.
I love watching dog shows and I get even more excited when I see a German shepherd in the show since I own one. I noticed that all the points are based on how the dog looks not really on how smart the dog actually is. I guess that’s what the objective of a dog show is seeing what dog like the best. Sometimes I see wired breeds and they have super long hair and walk funny and somehow they win the whole contest. I speechless when the judges make these decisions, the more the dog looks wired or different the greater chance it has of winning. I enjoy your posts they are awesome to read.
ReplyDeleteI really, really like this post. Out of all the posts I've read for english 414, this is by far the most intriguing to me. I don't know why, maybe it's because of how I never thought of dog shows in that way. You have brought new light into how I think of it and how you made it so relatable to the discussion in class about fashion shows. I mean, I certainly wouldn't own a dog like an afghan hound or something, I wouldn't even know where to begin with taking care of them!
ReplyDeleteSo many things in this post is very thought-provoking and in every sense it's true. Like how you stated, "It only makes sense in this context that the most rare, most unique, primped, well-maintained, least-like-a-dog, dog consistently takes the cake." I mean how could someone or dog compete with such rarity. I also think what hit me is the "least-like-a-dog" comment and how most dogs are no where near those kinds of statures, my dog certainly isn't.