Saturday, April 9, 2011

K-9 to 5s

The modern dog serves quite a variety of functions and purposes, some being more practical, while others are mainly novelty. This is entirely a reflection of society and what we’ve come to value in life. Dogs were originally domesticated for the purposes of protection, hunting, etc. They were given jobs, and they did them well. 





They guarded the herd, alerted at the first sign of
danger, and could even help you track down a meal. These days, however, our basic survival needs are served in so many other ways, which render the dog’s function in these capacities somewhat unnecessary and outmoded.  The safety aspect of dog ownership is still a major selling point—perhaps not for Lhasa Apso enthusiasts necessarily. But for the vast majority of us who aren’t tracking or hunting our own dinner each night, dogs are more often relegated to the ranks of companion, playmate, and even entertainment. They have adapted nicely to this role, quickly settling in to life on the couch, with full food and water bowls just in the next room. (Okay, so maybe you don’t allow your dog on the furniture, but you get the idea.) 
They way we live in general has changed drastically over the past few centuries--even over the past few decades--and dogs have pretty much kept pace. They've adapted and evolved with us every step of the way.Even so, there are still certain specialized occupations that employ the talents and services of the canine species.  Thousands of dogs are specially trained to guide the Blind, listen and alert for the Deaf, and even tattle on you when you try to take trail mix on an international flight (I don’t hold it against him though). Certain breeds are meant for, and were in fact bred and developed for the express purposes of working. They NEED to have a job, and many tend to get anxious or exhibit other signs of discontent in the absence of that ‘sense of purpose’. In certain fields, this is readily taken advantage of. The police still employ canine units, depending on the heightened senses of breeds like Beagles, German Shepherds and even Labradors to assist in subduing criminals and sniffing out contraband. In one case I read about, a Labrador duo was responsible for busting open cases involving $3.5million in pirated DVDs and child pornography!! As a result, a Malaysian crime syndicate has ordered a  ‘Hit’ on them!!!

Not only can dogs put you away for life, but they could also save your life. Dogs are heavily relied upon for search and rescue operations. Additionally, a variety of canines are being trained to sense the onset of seizures, and even sniff out cancer. To me this is nothing short of amazing. Even more shocking is the fact that humans have been able to tap into this, and work out a system of training a dog to find something that is essentially abstract or invisible (outside of a laboratory, anyway). For example, how do you train a dog to alert you to a drop in a child’s blood sugar when you can’t physically show them what that is? When you yourself can’t detect when it’s happening? And how do you discover that the dog can detect the change? It boggles my mind a little bit but it has been, and is being done successfully! It also makes me look at my own dogs, and wonder about their hidden talents and untapped capacities. All the things that may never occur to me as being within their power to do. Hmmm… 




4 comments:

  1. I agree, it definitely boggles my mind too. Dogs are such amazing creatures, and they truly are mans best friend. I can not count the number of amazing stories that I have heard about dogs. However, I do feel that we are wasting and abusing the power of our dogs. I know that you talk about how dogs have greatly adapted to our life style, and changes over the years, but have we treated them as they should be over the time. In my opinion I think that we are mistreating our animals more now than ever. Maybe I am wrong, and certain things are now being brought to light, but with all the publicity on puppy mills it really makes you think about where a dog comes from. All I know is that in my next life if there is one I for sure want my dogs! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree dogs are amazing smart creatures; I myself have a German Shepherd. I do think each breed of dogs has its limits, but when we make an effort to teach them we can break those limits. My dog understands me so well I don’t even have to say anything, but when it comes to my parents he doesn’t listen to them at all. When it comes to big dogs the owners have to be very thought on the dog and discipline them right or the dog over wise will develop a temper. Once you train them then they will know what’s right from wrong. Most dogs act on instinct whether it is for a good or bad cause. Our job as the owner is to teach them when they can use those instincts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree and enjoyed reading your post! It is quite amazing how dogs have adapted through out the years. Their intelligence continues to surprise me. Depending on how you train these dogs goes beyond what I would expect. I see senile dogs from time to time, and to think that this dog is assisting a person and how far this dog can actually go. The story on the Labrador discovering the child pornography is beyond what I would expect! How can you even detect something like that? What would we do without dogs!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I strongly agree and also enjoy reading the post, I have two adorable dogs. My dogs are really understand me well.Having pet dogs around is the best thing that I can do to myself because they keep me happy and cheerful. They are the most adorable creatures who behave in a way that impresses me and keeps me occupied while having to play around and pamper them.

    ReplyDelete