A lot of people will claim that their work schedule or renting agreement had a lot to do with their pet choice. To an extent, this makes sense, but doesn’t it go a little deeper than that? Am I supposed to believe that everyone starts out wanting a dog, but some end up settling for cats because their landlord gives them no choice? This is a little hard for me to swallow. It’s been my experience--and I don’t think I’m alone in this--that the average dog owner is NOT the same as the average cat owner. I've mentioned this before, and I highly doubt that all cat owners become so simply by default. No, I think there’s more to it.
Maybe I’m playing into some sort of vague stereotype here, but I’ve always felt that cats and dogs attracted very different types of people. They’re distinct groups; subcultures, even. And while I wouldn’t exactly call it definitive, there is research to back this up. Studies show that on a very basic level, dogs tend to attract extroverted, active personalities, while cats run with a more introspective, artsy crowd. To a certain extent, I also feel like the difference can be physically manifested. I’m not talking somatotypes here, but you can almost tell just by looking at them.
To me, someone can definitely look like a cat person or look like a dog person. Perhaps this is a product of associations with some of the qualities assessed in the aforementioned research study; but as an avid people watcher, I’ll confess that this is one of the first assumptions I make when sizing up complete strangers. Why? Because it sets up an overall tone for their personality, their private life, and generally gets the ball rolling on constructing a back-story for them. It’s fun! I could be totally wrong, but who cares? It’s a relatively innocuous attribution...or is it?
What does this car say to you versus the one below? Are they even speaking the same language |
Certainly, if you’re a dog-person and I mistake you for a cat-person, it wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world. (I’m sure you’ve been called worse.) But it makes me wonder: how exactly do we exude such preferences? Is it intentional, or organic? Is it tied to how we dress? Our sense of style? The car we drive, or where we drive it? Do we want it to be tied to these things? Or does it just sort of happen?
In our culture, there’s a general belief that we are defined by our possessions. I’m wondering how much pet ownership falls under this category. As far as dog-owners are concerned, how much does our dog’s breed, size, gender, etc. say about us as individuals? Why do some guys get embarrassed when walking their mom’s teacup poodle? (Why am I assuming it would be their mom’s?) Do we make an attempt to make certain statements with our aesthetic breed choices like we do with our clothes, cars, and hairstyles? Definitely.
In our culture, there’s a general belief that we are defined by our possessions. I’m wondering how much pet ownership falls under this category. As far as dog-owners are concerned, how much does our dog’s breed, size, gender, etc. say about us as individuals? Why do some guys get embarrassed when walking their mom’s teacup poodle? (Why am I assuming it would be their mom’s?) Do we make an attempt to make certain statements with our aesthetic breed choices like we do with our clothes, cars, and hairstyles? Definitely.
Ultimately, human intervention and differing aesthetic preferences are the main reasons there’s such a spectrum of dog breeds to choose from today. Admittedly, some breeds were ‘engineered’, if you will, out of utility, i.e. Dobermans. Others were designed as companions for nobles. But in general, dogs throughout history have been selectively bred and popularized by different cultures entirely on the basis of looks. (if you don't believe me, check out the NOVA special, "Dogs Decoded"). To this day, many of these breeds drum up associations and certain assumptions about the lifestyle or personality of their owner—or at least they do for me.
Let’s play a little word/image association game to show you what I mean. Here's what immediately comes to my mind when I think of the following breeds:
![]() |
Chihuahua Ankle-biter. Needy. Anxious. High-maintenance. Cute. Accessory.Taco Bell |
| Bulldog (English) Gangster (I can’t help it. I always think of Marlon Brando for some reason). Couch potato. Scrappy. Snuffly. Skateboards. (more recently, anyway). Breeds like this seem to appeal to pretty disparate personality types these days. Hence, the differing associations I’ve made. In fact, if they weren’t so popular, it’s possible Bulldogs might die out entirely, given their breathing problems and massive, unbirth-able heads! |
Some of these associations make no historical sense whatsoever…and they don’t have to. This is simply what comes to my mind when I see them. Perhaps it’s not just me. Maybe other people see these things too. Maybe that’s why they chose that breed, or perhaps why they didn’t. How much do my associations differ with your own?
Odd as it sounds to say it, dogs are status symbols—or at least they can be. I’m not just talking about the purebred circuit either. This applies to mixed breeds as well, and maybe even more so considering the one-of-a-kind aspect mutts have going for them. I know it’s true, because I’m guilty of this myself. I set out to find my dog with certain criteria in mind. I ended up finding him, and I drove 600 miles to get him.
I love dogs, and I love the looks and personality traits of probably the majority of them…but all for different reasons, and not necessarily ones that best suit me. Sure, there are plenty of great dogs at the shelters closer to home, but the one I found 600 miles way was the one. I’m intrigued by my own justifications for why that is. It has to do with the personality and temperament I wanted, but it also had something to do with looks. I like my dog’s look, but what makes me like it? I wonder if it’s similar to the way I like the look of certain cars…Or is it that I like the way that I look in certain cars?
Who am I kidding? I’m just going to accept the fact that my dog embodies a personal statement about the kind of person I am (or maybe the kind of person I think I am, or want to be). In the end, I like what he says about me…At least I think I do... Let’s find out. What comes to your mind based on this picture?:









I love animals but I always considered myself as a dog type of person rather than a cat person. Although I don’t fit into the “extroverted, active” personalities fit for a dog person and rather fit more into the “introspective, artsy crowd” of a cat person. Strange... With this whole dog or cat preference I think it all has to do with your past such as what you grew up with. That’s one explanation I can come up with myself. I grew up in the suburbs and my neighborhood had mostly dogs. When I was a little kid playing with dolls, I remember I wanted to be like Barbie, have a pink convertible, a golden retriever and live a fabulous life. It pretty ridiculous right? Growing up I really wanted a dog, I remember when I would go to the library to read all I can about dogs. In the end, my parents got me a Yorkshire terrier in middle school. I absolutely adore my dog and if funny how my friends say he resembles me at times.
ReplyDeleteOh by the way, your dog look adorable! What type of breed is he? To me he look very playful and friendly.
I totally agree with your post! Dogs definitely do say a lot about their owners. I am sure that you have heard that people say that dogs look like their owners. I definitely think this is true! I have a golden retriever, so I was glad that you said they are classic, fun-loving, easy-going, because my dog is definitely all of those, and I like to think that those describe me too!
ReplyDeleteI've definitely heard and believe that dogs can look like their owners. Honestly, I can imagine there might be a slight resemblance between you and your Golden (I hope you don't take that the wrong way. Golden Retrievers are gorgeous dogs :) It comes down to a 'chicken or the egg' type question as far as whether common attributes cause a resemblance in the long run, or the resemblance dictates and and fosters commonality. The fact that people pick dogs suited to their lifestyle makes me wonder about this and how it happens. There are definitely some creepy look-alikes out there...
ReplyDeleteThis is definitely a really interesting post. Just the other day I was walking my dog Dutch and across the street were these two guys and their purebred, muscular, Pit. Both of the guys were dressed almost like they were in a gang and I can tell that they were walking their dog for status reasons. That makes me super sad because Pits are often mistaken to be bullys/aggressive...
ReplyDeleteI think you're exactly right. There is a huge difference between dog and cat people. I personally am a dog person, a German Shepherd person to be exact. I've had two and loved both of them. I also agree with you when you say you can tell an owner by its dog.I think dogs are not only your best friend, but an extension of yourself in dog form.
ReplyDelete